What exactly does this term ‘comedogenic’ mean? Comedogenic is a term usually used in beauty and skin care world and has become a buzzword in recent years. It basically means tending clogged pores and encourages the formation of blackheads.
So, people generally tend to find products which are non-comedogenic or which have a comedogenic rating of 0 to 1. Non-comedogenic oil is the best for your skin as it is very safe and has no side or bad effects on your skin.
So, What Is Comedogenic Rating:
It’s better to know about the comedogenic rating as of which rating is safe for your skin type or to have knowledge about which product should not be used. Comedogenic rating is between the range of 0 to 5 for all the products. The non-comedogenic product is the best and safest for your skin, but it depends totally on your skin type. So, the rating zero is noncomedogenic and rating of 1 is safe for your skin.
So, a rating of 2 means that it’s possible that the product can clog your pores, a rating of 3 means the ingredient is more likely to clog your pores so the safest rating is zero 0 or hardly 1.
0- won’t clog pores at all
1- very low likelihood of clogging pores
2 -moderately low likelihood of clogging pores
3 – the moderate likelihood of clogging pores
4 -fairly high likelihood of clogging pores
5 -high likelihood of clogging pores
- Rating 0: the product which has a comedogenic rating of 0 is known as the safest as it is considered as a non-comedogenic oil.
- Rating 1: The product with a comedogenic rating of 1 is not damaging for your skin as clinically tested there are some products in the market with a comedogenic rating of 1 and people use it.
- Rating 2: the product with a comedogenic rating of 2 is not so safe for your skin as they have high chances to clog your pores leading to pimples and skin damage. But it depends upon the tolerance level of your skin.
- Rating of 3: The product with a rating of 3 is not so safe for your skin as it can highly damage your skin. Causing pimples and blackheads. If your skin has a very high tolerance level then it can tolerate it.
- Rating of 4: the product with the rating of 4 is not safe for your skin but there are a very few people who can use it as their skin tolerance level is high.
- Rating of 5: The product with the comedogenic rating of 5 is not at all safe for your skin as it is thick in nature which means greasiness will definitely open your pores and cause damage to your skin. There is a 99% chance of getting pimples and blackheads after using it.
It is always adviced that if you’re new to skin care, you should always start with noncomedogenic oils.
Organic Olive Oil:
Olea Europea is the scientific name for olive oil. Olive oil is a carrier oil. It has a comedogenic rating of 2. It has a lightly fruity and grass aroma smell. Olive oil has an olive to dark green color. Olive oil has a light to medium non-greasy consistency. The shelf life of olive oil is 2 years.
Olive oil has major benefits for dry skin, combination skin, and aging skin. It is best for skin conditions such as Eczema, psoriasis, dry skin acne, rosacea, bites/stings, fine lines, and wrinkles. Olive oil is safe to be used during pregnancy for external use only. Olive oil consists of Oleic acid (55-83%), Palmitic acid (7.5-20%), Linoleic acid (3-21%), Stearic acid (.5-5%), Linolenic acid (<1%). Other compounds in olive oil are Vitamin E, Squalene, Hydroxytyrosol.
Olive oil is known as a secret weapon to ageless skin and has been greatly praised by the histories most iconic beauties. Olive oil has many beauty benefits these high praises are highly warranted as Sophia Loren was famously indulged in olive oil baths her glow was known as “olive glow”.
Olive oil is known greatly for its anti-aging properties as it contains compounds like squalene, Vitamin E, and a rare antioxidant called hydroxytyrosol which has been proven to protect against free radical damage to the skin. Squalene is a fat found in our own cells. Hydroxytyrosol is great anti bacteria for your skin and helps your skin against the fight with acne.
Olive oil is low comedogenic and non-greasy but still, people who have an acne prone skin will get affected due to it and there will be breakouts on their skin from excessive olive oil use. Olive oil is extracted from the ripe fruit of the olive tree and is divided into three different categories virgin olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, and pure olive oil. One of the best types of organic olive oil is authentic extra virgin olive oil which is cold pressed and unrefined. With a comedogenic rating of 2, olive oil has great benefits.
Great skin doesn’t happen by chance, it is achieved by care. Invest in olive oil for your skin. As it’s going to be with you for a very long time and definitely, you won’t regret it.