What Are Essential Oils And Its Uses?
You must have heard about aromatherapy during your stay at a summer resort. Essential oils are used widely in aromatherapy as it has numerous health benefits. In the medicinal field, the importance of essential oils has been recognized since ancient times. Essential oil is the base in ayurvedic medicines used to cure various diseases.
How Are Essential Oils Made?
Essential oils are procured from different parts of the medicinal plants. These oils collect the most beneficial essence from the parts of plants like bark, stems, leaves, roots, fruits, flowers, etc. The method used to extract essential oils out of the plants is important. One might use the heating technique or distillation to extract the oils. Another commonly used technique for procuring essential oils are cold-pressing. Different techniques are used for different oils depending on the purpose. This is how essential oils are made. Today many manufacturers use preservatives to store the oils for longer periods. This only spoils the purity of the essential oils.
These oils have a number of health benefits. Different types of essential oils are available today and each has its own special properties. Some commonly used essential oils are as follows:
- Lavender oil
- Jojoba oil
- Almond oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Coconut oil
- Tea tree oil
- Argan oil
- Castor oil
These are few essential oils listed above. They are very commonly used by many people to treat ailments. Essential oils can be used in a number of home remedies to cure diseases. Before you know about the uses of essential oils let’s get to know quick facts about essential oils.
Facts About Essential Oil Which You Must Know
The following are the facts about essential oils according to experts:
- Essential oils have great absorbing abilities. Thus when applied on the skin they are carried by the bloodstream to various parts of the body.
- In European medical field, doctors prescribe essential oils in place of pharmaceuticals..
- When these oils are diffused they can eliminate toxins from the air.
- They are not just oils but are concentrated components of plants which are useful for the health.
- Five drops of lemon essential oil if equal to the benefits of the whole lemon.
- These oils are extracted from plants by process of distillation or extractions.
- Essential oils are used in diffusers as it stimulates a sense of smell. The limbic system of the brain which is responsible for controlling the emotions of a person. When the senses of a person are stimulated with essential oils these can have effects on the limbic system.
As you have known the facts of essential oils you must have understood the importance of them. They are used not only for home remedies but also for making cosmetics. The different health benefits of essential oils are as follows:
- They are antibacterial so they can be used to cure wounds.
- Treat acne and skin problems
- Boosts immunity power
- Protects from heart diseases
- Solve stomach related problems
- Useful for hair and skin care
- Muscle and joint pain relief
- Reduce the effects of aging.
All these we few benefits of essential oils for human health, skin, and hair. But if essential oils are not used properly they can also have side effects.
Side Effects Of Essential Oils
Essential oils can have multiple uses and health benefits. They also come with side effects if not used correctly. Few precautions one must take and know about before using essential oils are as follows:
- Strong essential oils like eucalyptus are not supposed to be swallowed. Their chemical compounds can harm the body as it tends to absorb quickly if consumed.
- Should not be used directly on babies, animals, and pregnant women.
- Should not be diffused in the air in a public space as some people may be allergic to them. They have a very strong aroma.
- It is a natural remedy to cure ailments but cannot be used every day. Like medicines cannot be taken always same goes with essential oils. You should use them according to your need and purpose.
The complete guide regarding what essential oils are and how these oils work has been thoroughly covered in this article.